Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I have a three bdrm ranch home with one bath, livingroom, dining room, kitchen and a two & a 1/2 garage. ?

I would like to convert 1 garage into a family room with a 1/2 bath. We just bought the house and have 2 kids. Would this decrease the value of our home? We would really like the extra space. Not really considering selling, but you never know what could happen.I have a three bdrm ranch home with one bath, livingroom, dining room, kitchen and a two %26amp; a 1/2 garage. ?
I don't think it is a bad idea, and I don't think it would cause the value of the home to go down. I wouldn't put a half bath in, though. People looking for a new home to buy want one with two full bathrooms. I am in the market for a new home and I wouldn't even consider a home without two full bathrooms. I have a three bdrm ranch home with one bath, livingroom, dining room, kitchen and a two %26amp; a 1/2 garage. ?
You'd need to do a quality job-- meaning build a steady brick wall where the garage door is, insulate the walls, and run the HVAC system into it. All that plus plumbing and electricity is going to be costly. So, theoretically, having an extra master-suite could add big value to your home. But not if it looks like a garage... No one wants a dumpy excuse for an extra bedroom =)
Usually converting a garage isn't a good idea for resale purposes, but since you have no plans of moving soon, need the space and more importantly will still have garage space, I say do it.
Adding livable square footage will never decrease the value of your home. I would consider a full bath, tho. It's not that much more and it will reap benefits should you decide to sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment