Thursday, March 11, 2010

Extending a room and adding a bath?

I would like to do it myself, but I have no experience. I would like to turn one of our back bedrooms into a master bedroom by adding a few feet to it and adding a bathroom and closet next to the bathroom. The new bathroom will be right next to our old bathroom.Our house has a crawl space underneat so that might make it a bit easier.





I am more than willing to take a few years to learn absolutely everything I need to know about doing this myself. I won't be starting this project until I know I can do it right.





I might hire out the plumbing and electric but I am not sure yet.





I have tried to find help on the internet about where to begin learning all of this but I only run into contracter referral sites and nothing that pertains to me, really.





Can anyone recommend a website or series of books that will REALLY get me started? Are there any special considerations I might be missing, other than building permits?


I would greatly appreciate any imput; thank you in advanceExtending a room and adding a bath?
Look at BHG.com, or Hometime.com





http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/b鈥?/a>





Read as much as you can - try the library for books on how to plan, frame and lay out the new spaces, plus to get the standard dimensions for things like doors, windows, framing, and fixtures. It's out there ... I learned most of what I know from reading and a bit from watching contractors or my dad and brothers, then just doing it. You're right to check on the permits - also see if local Home Depot has any free classes that might be helpful. Happy Home Improvements!Extending a room and adding a bath?
I hate to disappoint, but you may need to hire a contractor for the job. I don't know where you live, but the general rule of thumb is that if you are doing something structural (not siding) outside of your house, you need a building permit and to get one in most areas, you have to be a licensed contractor. If you know one, he may be fine with just getting you the permit and letting you do the work. Other than that, it sounds like a great idea. I advise hammerzone.com. Their walkthroughs are pretty good and free. Also, I would say to be more afraid of the plumbing than electrical. Electrical is really pretty easy. On that note, always add just one more outlet, wou will never regret it!!
I would first go to a used bookstore. They have books and manuals on all sorts of projects ( and sometimes the building codes that are needed ). Flip through those for details and pictures. Plumbing and Electric minght want to be sub-contracted out, but there might be some sort of Pre-task that you could tackle yourself
It takes years of OJT and experience to do what you want to do and have it come out right. I'm not trying to spoil your dream and tell you you can't do it . . . I'm just telling you it's not something you can actually learn from books, the web, or TV and videos.





If it's really something you want, bad enough, go out and apprentice for a professional remodeler/builder. Not some tract home frame carpenter, but a journeyman or master class pro who does his own work and loves what it he does, even after years of doing it.





I don't know where you live but I can assure you there's a person or more around that would appreciate your enthusiasm enough to give you a shot. It'll be tough, but only you know if you really have what it takes.





Best of Luck,





Mike Lonergan


TradesProfessional, Inc.


http://www.tradesprofessional.com

No comments:

Post a Comment